What is sexual violence?
Sexual violence is one of the most violating experiences an individual can endure.
Sexual assault is any sexual contact against person’s will or without consent or that takes advantage of a person who is not able to give consent. It involves any sexual behaviour that makes a person feel uncomfortable, frightened and threatened. Sexual assault can include any coerced or forced sexual activities or sex-related activities, including those that involve violence or pain, rape, childhood sexual abuse and indecent assault.
There are many types of sexual assault including:
• Non-consensual, forced physical sexual behaviour
• Unwanted touching and kissing
• Exhibitionism, voyeurism, stalking
• Being forced to watch or participate in pornography
• Using positions of power to coerce a child or vulnerable person to engage in any type of sexual activity
• Sexual harassment
Service Against Sexual Violence (SASV)
The Service Against Sexual Violence is committed to providing respectful sexual violence support services to survivors aged 14 years and over. We understand how difficult it is for survivors of sexual violence to come forward and share their story and we strive to provide survivors with a safe and supportive space.
The Service Against Sexual Violence is a community based organisation with a strong understanding of gender and diversity. SASV recognises that LGBTQIA people challenge the dominant norms of society and experience significant levels of both physical and sexual violence. We also acknowledge the diversity of experiences held by Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and individuals from culturally diverse backgrounds. SASV is committed to delivering sensitive services and ensuring that we provide a safe space for all people.
SASV aims to provide services that are accountable, person centred and confidential.
• Counselling and support for survivors aged 14 years and over
• Support for family, friends and care givers of survivors
• Information, advice, referral
• Group work
• Community education